What is Hemorrhoids?
In Hemorrhoids veins inside the bottom get swollen and inflamed. 75% of people suffering with it is mainly in the age group of 45-65 years or if one is pregnant. Hemorrhoids may also lead to rectal bleeding. It is swollen veins in the lower part of the rectum and anus. Swollen Hemorrhoids are also called piles.
What causes Hemorrhoids?
Pressure during bowel movements
Diarrhoea or constipation
Extra weight, obesity
Low fibre diet, high consumption of processed spicy foods
Also, people who sit or stand for long hours are at greater risk too
Prevention and diet for Hemorrhoids:
A simple lifestyle change can give relief from mild Hemorrhoids symptoms.
- Dietary changes by adding more fibre in the diet through whole grain like barley, quinoa, brown rice, rye, oats and legumes etc.
- Adding a variety of fruits and vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, zucchini, pumpkin, bell peppers, cucumber etc. Fruits like melon, pear, apple raspberries, banana and prunes. Also adding one root vegetable a day like sweet potato, carrot, beetroot, turnips etc.
- Drinking adequate water will also prevent constipation.
- Lead a physically active life, and involved in regular physical activity for a minimum of 30 minutes a day
- Don’t wait when one get an urge to use the washroom or strain during bowel movement
- Maintain a healthy weight
- For faster relief, sit in a warm bath or use an ice pack or hemorrhoids cream.
Foods to avoid:
It is a good idea to reduce the intake of low fibre foods which can result in constipation and at the same time can aggravate Hemorrhoids.
- Limit intake of dairy products including milk, cheese and other variety.
- Refined flour like white bread, pasta, noodles etc.
- Red and processed meats which are low in fibre and high in sodium.
- Fried, Salty and Spicy foods which will make hemorrhoids more sensitive and make it more painful.
- Caffeinated beverages and Alcohol can harden your stool and may increase pain and discomfort.
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the author’s own.